Industrial Cleaning’s Surprising Powerhouse: Dry Ice
Date Posted: May 16, 2018
If the first thing that springs to mind when you hear the words “dry ice” is a stage set with eerie fog rolling across it, you’re not alone. However, atmospheric theatrics is just one thing dry ice has going for it. It’s also the major component in a high-powered but cost-effective cleaning technology: dry ice blasting (also known as CO2 blasting).
Similar to sandblasting and high-pressure water blasting, dry ice systems use small dry ice pellets (solid carbon dioxide) to blast away oil, grease, paint, tar, dirt, and other materials. Skeptical? Give us a couple of minutes to convince you that dry ice blasting may be the best choice for your facility and equipment.
Dry ice blasting’s major benefits to you are:
- Increases functionality: By adjusting the pressure, dry ice is versatile enough to handle everything from heavy industrial applications to delicate control panels and circuitry.
- Eliminates abrasion or corrosion issues: Dry media, chemical, and water blasting can wear down surfaces by cleaning through sheer brute force or a strong chemical reaction. That’s great for hard, durable surfaces like concrete and thick, metal tanks. But non-abrasive dry ice blasting is well suited for cleaning equipment with electronic or sensitive components AND hard surfaces by using the combination of temperature change, CO2 pellets, and sublimation.
- Diminishes safety concerns: With dry ice blasting, you don’t have to worry about slippery floors, mold in food areas, dust, or chemical exposure. Dry ice is clean, non-toxic, non-flammable, and non-conductive. And it’s safe for the environment, too.
- Cuts down on clean-up: Dry ice dissipates, leaving nothing behind to dispose of except the removed waste material. There’s no water, no dry media (think sand, soda, ground walnut shells, glass beads), and no chemicals to clean up afterward.
- Reduces downtime: Dry ice blasting is fast and efficient. There’s no need to disassemble or reassemble equipment, don special safety gear, or clean up secondary materials or contaminants afterward. You can get back to work faster.
- Cleans with no sacrifices: No matter the level of clean you require-from aesthetic to sterile-dry ice blasting delivers results.
- Cost effective: When you add up all the costs and savings associated with dry ice blasting and compare them to other cleaning methods, you’ll find little difference. Dry ice blasting often enables your industrial cleaning contractor to remove several pieces of equipment and some personnel from a project while always minimizing waste generated, hauled, and disposed.
Intrigued? Wondering if dry ice blasting is a good solution for your cleaning needs? Call us at 800-399-2783 to speak with one of our knowledgeable representatives. At Environmental Remedies, all solutions lead to clean.